Friday, July 27, 2007

My Son and Spock ...

We named my last child Zerrick Schuyler Jensen. We came to this name as follows:

My brother's name is Schuyler. He is named after our great uncle Schuyler Brown, who raised my grandmother and her sister as his own after their parents died. Pretty neat guy.

I have looked up to my brother for a long time, and wanted my son to have a name that reminded him of his uncle as well as my great uncle.

I have always liked names that start with Z. On my mission in Slovakia, I came across two Z names that I wanted for my children: Zbynek (boy) [Z-BEAN-EK] and Zdenka [Z-DAIN-KA] (girl). I decided that when I got married, we would have twins and name them this. My wife promptly thwarted this by not providing twins. (I know it was on purpose.) I relented and we have relegated these names to things like cars & pets. But, I still like Z names.

When Zerrick was born, I knew we wanted to name him after Schuyler, and I still really liked Zbynek Schuyler. Since Schuyler served his mission in Zurich Switzerland, we started playing with Zurich and got Zerrick.

So that is how we named him.



This last week at church, some old guy I've never seen before, after commenting on how cute Zerrick was asked his name. I told him and after a few moments of reflection said, "Isn't that Spock's Dad's name?"

And so it is that my son will forever be a nerd. Hippies name their kids after Flowers, Fruits, Vegetable, Weed, Granola, and other GREEN things. Nerds name their kids after Vulcans and Klingons.

(btw, Spock's Dad's name is Sarek … thus proving my point about nerds … most of my engineering peers at work, before reading this "btw," were poised to tell me Zerrick was not Spock's Dad's name ... again proving my point about nerds)